This is the first part in a multi part series on going paperless in your SMB business.
First obstacle in creating a paperless office is managing all the paper that comes in the office, whether it be vial mail man, Federal Express, UPS or a document generated or received from an employee it needs to be catagorized.
Hard Copy Papers fall into 2 classifications:
1. Important Documents to the overall company.
2. Everything else
All important documents must be scanned, filed and stored in the monthly important docs storage box or shredded immediately.
What is an important doc?
1. Any invoice
2. Signed contracts
3. Legal Documents from any Government Body including State, Fed, Local and County as well as OSHA, IRS, etc.
4. Tax Documents and Notices
5. Notices from Vendors – such as change of address, terms of service, etc
6. Legal Notices
What is everything else?
1. The papers on your desk that help keep you organized
2. Lottery tickets
3. Internal communications
4. Letters from friends
5. Junk Mail
6. Personal paper
So look at your employee desks. Are there any important documents that should be scanned, filed, stored or destroyed? Or are all papers classification 2?